RESEARCH AND ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
Student Placement and Training
A large number of students of MBA (TTM), PGDTH and BHM get placements through on and off campus interviews every year. Efforts have been made to sign MoU with different travel trade organizations, hotels, resorts etc. for students' placement, training and tour program across the country. As far as career growth is concerned, Centre is having a good track record of corporate ladder and growth prospects of the students placed in different travel agencies, hotels and resorts. Few of them are brilliantly shouldering the responsibilities of top-notch positions like general managers; corporate head and senior manager etc. nationally as well as internationally.
Special provisions have been made for outdoor activities for the overall development of the students. This includes river rafting, trekking, mountaineering, rock climbing, nature camping and excursion to other tourist places etc. Department prepares a variety of tour itineraries every year for the students which is an important aspect of course curriculum in tourism and hotel management disciplines. Special community-based activities are also undertaken by the department in joint collaboration with various tourism bodies of Uttarakhand so that capacity building, skill development programs can be conducted for the society.
RESEARCH, PUBLICATION AND SEMINAR
In the direction of its twin object of actively pursuing tourism research generating awareness about tourism the centre has published various books and is working on various projects in the line.
I. Books Published
- Uniyal, Sarvesh (2023), “Mahatma Gandhi Paryatan Paripath”
- Uniyal, Sarvesh (2022), “Vivekanand Paryatan Paripath”
- Gupta,S.K.(2020), “ Foreign Language Skills-II, French” Uttarakhand Open University,Haldwani, Uttarakhand ISBN 978-81-962531-0-3
- Gupta,S.K.(2019), “ Foreign Language Skills-I, French” Uttarakhand Open University,Haldwani, Uttarakhand,ISBN 978-93-85740-60-2
- Uniyal, Sarvesh (2016), “Uttarakhand Utpaad Uttarakhand Uphaar”
- S.K. Gupta & Neeraj Agrawal (2014), edited “Tourism &Hospitality Industry: Modern State, Problems & Perspectives ”Anmol Publication, New Delhi(978-81-8204-083-0)
- John C. Crotts, S.K. Gupta & Bagri, S.C. (2013) Edited” Innovation and Competitiveness in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry” Kanishka Publishers, New Delhi. (ISBN No-978-81-8457-484-5).
- S.C. Bagri, Sanjay Singh Mahar & Sarvesh Uniyal (2012).Edited” Tourism and Hospitality Industry: Applications and Role of Science and Technology”.
- R.K. Dhodi & Rashmi Dhodi (2012). Sustainable Tourism Development- Policy, Planning and Management,Winser Publication,Dehradun.
- R.K. Dhodi & Rashmi Dhodi ,Ecotourism in Yamuna Valley, Winser Publication, Dehradun
- S.C. Bagri et al. (2009). Hospitality Industry: Contemporary Issues.
- S.C. Bagri et al. (2008). Introduction to Hospitality- A text book.
- S.C. Bagri, S .K. Gupta, R.K. Dhodi, Rashmi Dhodi & Sarvesh Uniyal (2007) edited “Human Resource Development Practices in Travel and Tourism Sectors, CMTHS, HNBG University, Srinagar Garhwal, ( ISBN 81-904282-0-9)
- S. K. Gupta (2007). International Air Fare & Ticketing: Methods and Techniques. UDH Publishers, New Delhi (ISBN81-85044-56-2).
- S.C. Bagri (2006). edited Sustainable Tourism Planning and Development, published by Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, Dehradun. , ISBN: 81-211-0505-6.
- S.C. Bagri (2004). Trend and Issues in Tourism Management.
- S. K. Gupta (2002). “Tourism & Heritage Resources in Garhwal: An Approach to Planning and Management” by Kavery Books, New Delhi. (ISBN81-7479-056-x).
- S.C. Bagri (1992). Buddhist Tourism Management.
II. Journal of Tourism - A Bi-annual International Journal on Travel and Tourism (ISSN: 0972-7310)
The Centre has been publishing Journal of Tourism (biannual) since 1995, which includes input from tourism experts, opinion leaders, explorers and related field scholars. The MoU with University of Mississippi, U.S.A. was signed for the promotions and publication of Journal internationally in the year 2009 for 2 years duration. Different scholars of international reputes are invited to act as guest editors in different volumes.
- S. K. Gupta (2020-22). “Tourists’ Behavioral Intentions towards the use of Selected Mobile wallets for Digital Payments” funded by ICSSR.
- Bagri, S.C. (2019), Value Chain based Tourism Development in Punch Badri Circuit, funded by ICSSR.
- S. K. Gupta (2016-17). “Status of Tourism and Hospitality Education in Garhwal Region of Uttarakhand: A Critical Appraisal” funded by Directorate of Economic & Statistics, Government of Uttarakhand under SSS program.
- S. K. Gupta (2015-17). “Planning for community based ecotourism through integrated value chain development in Jaunsar region of Uttarakhand: an analytical and strategic framework” funded by ICSSR.
- Rashmi Dhodi (2015-17). “Strategies, Planning and Tourist Perspective for Tourism Development in Bhilangana Valley of Garhwal Himalaya” funded by ICSSR.
- S. K. Gupta (2011-13). “Problems and Challenges of Travel Trade Companies in Garhwal Region of Uttarakhand”, funded by UGC.
- S. C. Bagri (2008-10). “Strengthening value-chain system for community-oriented ecotourism in and around Panch-Badris in Uttarakhand”, funded by ICSSR.
- S. K. Gupta (2008-10) “The Changing Nature of Tourists Expectation and Development Forces Impacting the Future of Tourism in Badrinath and Kedarnath Tourism Circuit in Uttarakhand”, funded by AICTE.
- S.C. Bagri (2008-10). “Ecotourism in Kumaon region”, funded by GB Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development, Almora.
- S. C. Bagri (2008-10). “Hospitality Management in Uttarakhand”, funded by AICTE.
- R. K. Dhodi (2007-09). “Evaluation & Interpretation of Ecotourism Resources in Yamuna Valley”, funded by UGC.
- S. C. Bagri (2007). Ecotourism in Tehri and Dehra Dun district funded by AICTE.
- S.C.Bagri(2006).“Ecotourism in Kedarnath Musk Deer Sanctuary”, funded by ICSSR.
- S.C.Bagri (2005). “Ecotourism in Har-Ki-Dun Sanctuary”. Funded by UGC.
- UGC-SAP, “Ecotourism Promotion and Development in Uttarakhand, funded by UGC from 2009- 2014”.
IV. Organization of Seminars, Conferences and Workshops
Working in accordance with its aim and objectives of providing a practical platform for healthy interaction between the diverse sectors of tourism and the students, the Centre holds various national and international seminars and related disciplines from time to time. Conferences, Seminars and workshops held in past years are as follows:
- Three Guide Training programs of 10 days Duration organized at Tehri,Srinagar and Augustmuni for the local youth of Tehri ,Pauri and Rudraprayag disticts from 27th September to 6th October 2022,3rd November to 12th November,2022 and 30th April to 9th May,2023 sponsored by Uttarakhand Tourism Development Board.
- Ganga Guide Training program from 12 to 17 Sepember,2022
- Training program for Managers and officials of Badri Kedar Temple Committee from 3-5th March,2022
- International Conference on “Entrepreneurship Development in Tourism and Hospitality Sector in the Himalayan states (April 28-30, 2017).
- State Workshop on “Uttarakhand Hathkargha avam Hastshilp Uddamiyon tatha Paryatan Udyog me karyarat Udyamiyon ke madhya Samanjasya” on 19-20 March 2015.
- National Seminar on “Inclusive Drive Engine of Community-based Ecotourism in the Mountainous Himalayas: Guidelines, Policy Perspectives and Development Indicators” on 27th September, 2014.
• National Seminar on “Applications of Science and Technology for Sustaining Tourism and Hospitality Industry: Bridging Theory and Practice” on 28th and 29th November, 2013
• International conference on “Tourism and Hospitality Industry: Modern State, Problems and Perspectives” on 11-12 May, 2013 held at Dehradun (Uttarakhand).
• Training workshop on “Hospitality Management for Managers/Caretakers” of Shri Badrinath-Kedarnath Temple Committee”, from April 16 to 20, 2013.
• Seven Days tour guide training programme for the local youths of District Chamoli, Uttarakhand in the year 2012 held at GMVN, Srinagar Garhwal.
• Two days National conference on “Science and Technology Application in Tourism Sector focusing on Uttarakhand Opportunities” on 27-28, September 2010 conducted in collaboration with USERC, Govt. of Uttarakhand.
• UGC Sponsored 2 day’s National Workshop on Ecotourism Promotion and Development on March 22-23, 2010, held at Juyal Garh Resort, Srinagar Garhwal.
• National workshop on “Application and Role of Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) for Tourism and Travel Professionals” in Uttarakhand organized on 5 March, 2010 at Rishikesh (Uttarakhand).
• AICTE Sponsored International Conference on “Indian Hospitality Industry-Contemporary Issues” March 27-28, 2008, held at Ganga Resort, GMVN, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand.
• AICTE Sponsored 1st Indian Hospitality Congress National Conference on “Operation and Management Practices in Indian Hotel Industry” on Jan. 09 and 10, 2008, held at Graphic Era Deemed University, Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
• One day National Seminar on Ecotourism organized on 27th Sept., 2007 on occasion of World Tourism Day at Srinagar Garhwal.
• AICTE Sponsored National Seminar on “Human Resource Practices in Travel and Tourism Sector” organized on March 19-21, 2005 at Ganga Resort Rishikesh, Uttarakhand.
• AICTE Sponsored International Conference on “Ecotourism Planning and Management” in protected areas, 28 Feb. to 3 March, 2005, held at JP Residence Manor, Mussoorie.
• Organized All India Tourism Teachers Association National Seminar on “Sustainable Tourism Planning and Development, organized on”, March 1-2, 2004 at Ganga Resort Rishikesh.
V) The International collaboration
I) Centre for Mountain Tourism and Hospitality Studies has an academic collaboration with Dimitri Cantemir University, Targu Mures, Romania under European Union (EU) Commission Erasmus + Programme to support faculty and student exchange for the period 2016-2027. Under this exchange programme Prof. Mihai Voda, Professor & Head of International Relations Office, Dimitri Cantemir University, Dr. Negru Radu and Mr. Doru Blaj visited Centre for Mountain Tourism and Hospitality Studies in 2016 , 2017,2018,2020 and 2022.
Similarly Dr. S. K. Gupta, Professor, Centre for Mountain Tourism and Hospitality Studies and Coordinator Erasmus + Programme visited Dimitri Cantemir University, Targu Mures, Romania under faculty exchange program in 2017 and 2022.
Under student exchange program Mr.Rishav Negi, Student of MBA (Tourism and Travel Management), has completed one semester study program under the frame of Erasmus+ program at Dimitri Cantemir University, Targu Mures, Romania during the period of 16/04/2017 to 15/07/2017.