About the Department
Department of Zoology, Birla Campus, Srinagar
The Department of Zoology came into existence by way of the teaching at UG level with the setting up of Birla Government Degree College at Srinagar (Garhwal) in 1962. Subsequently, it was upgraded as a PG and Research Department with the inception of Garhwal University in 1973. Since then, owing to the sustained efforts of the faculty members along with the untiring hard work of the employees under able leaderships, the department has made a steady progress in all spheres of higher learning.
The important academic contribution of faculty members was recognized by the UGC, as the Department has been identified as a ‘Centre of Excellence’ for teaching and research through its Special Assistance Programme (UGC-SAP, DRS-COSIST, 1994 onward). Also, DST-FIST (2003) and DBT-HRD (2008) have further strengthened the department.
Over the years, the Department developed a strong research base in the field of Aquatic biodiversity, Freshwater ecology, Chemoreception behaviour, Fish biology, Conservation biology, Drosophila taxonomy, and Reproduction & Developmental Molecular Endocrinology addressing both basic as well as applied researches relevant regionally, nationally and internationally.
Till date, 122 scholars have been awarded D.Phil./ Ph.D. degree in addition to 02 D.Sc. Degree in Zoology. Also, over 25 Ph.D. degree were awarded in Biotechnology. The Department has the distinction of having completed 36 individual research projects funded by Central and State funding agencies. As the students of the department have been placed in many prestigious national and international Institutes/Universities, the department has an impressive list of distinguished alumni.
The faculty members have been honoured by various awards and fellowships viz., INSA Young Scientist, UGC Career Development Award, Royal Society (UK) Bursary Award, Fellowship of the Indian Academy of Science (Bangalore), Fellowship of American Ornithologists Union, SERC Fellowship of DST, Fellowships of National Institute of Ecology. Also, the faculty members have been elected to various prestigious institutional bodies namely International Committee of Avian Endocrinologist, International Union of Game Biologists, International Commission of WAVPPB of IUPS, International Ornithological Committee, Asian Fisheries Society (Indian Branch), National Institute of Ecology, and Royal Entomological Society, London.
The Department has so far, organized 05 National and 07 International Seminar/Symposia/Conference. Of recent, an International Workshop in collaboration with Department of Biology at the University of Copenhagen and the Greenland Institute of Natural Resources, under International Network Programme (INP) funded by Danish Agency of Science and Higher Education, Ministry of Higher Education and Science, Denmark-2019 was conducted. The faculty members regularly participate in International and National seminars/symposia/conferences, and have published more than 700 Research papers/articles in the scientific journals of National and International repute.
At present the department offers B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in Zoology, however, it was also running three other programmes i.e., M.Sc. Biotechnology, Integrated 5 Year M.Sc. Biotechnology, and M.Sc. Himalayan Aquatic Biodiversity until recently, when separate departments of Himalayan Aquatic Biodiversity and Biotechnology were created in 2019 and 2020, respectively.
Quality Teaching Ensured
- NEP 2020: Four Year Undergraduate Programme introduced w.e.f. 2022
- Choice Based Semester System (CBCS): Core, Electives & Self-Study Courses; Continuous Internal Assessment
- Regular revision of curriculum: To impart advance knowledge; competitive examinations & job oriented
- Innovative teaching: Seminars, Group Discussions, Tutorials, Project Assignments, Brainstorming Interactive Group Teaching & Computer Assisted Teaching
- Enriched Library: To support the teaching and research, departmental library facility with access to multiple copies of latest editions of standard text and reference books
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS AND QUALITY HRD
The Department identified by UGC for excellence in research and teaching through SAP-DRS I, II & COSIST and supported by DST-FIST, DBT-HRD, has emerged as a hub of scientific activity and quality Human Resource Development.
- The department values its warm ambience and strong student-teacher rapport which is conducive for creative thinking & personality building.
- Attracts every year students from different Universities & States.
- Highly motivated students organize weekly seminars as part of continuous internal assessment along with other beyond curriculum activities.
- Students regularly qualify national tests (NET, SLET, GATE, ICAR/ICMR)
- High student placement (in industry & Universities).
- Animal dissection replaced by behaviour and conservation biology syllabi at UG & PG level since last fifteen years.
- High quality basic & applied researches (IF 6.35) carried out that have placed the country on world map in identified areas viz., Freshwater Biology, Fisheries Science, Fish Biology, Conservation Biology, Fish Molecular Endocrinology, and Drosophila Taxonomy
- Consultancy provided to NTPC, NHPC, RITES, VAPCOS on water quality, aquatic flora & fauna, hatchery design etc.; Inputs to fish farmers; Expertise extended to ICAR Fisheries Institutes.