Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, was established as a State University vide U. P. State Government notification no. (10)/(865)/15/(75)(85)/64 dated 23 November 1973. It has a rare distinction of taking birth through a powerful and popular movement during the early 1970s. This movement symbolized the hopes and aspirations of the masses for the development of higher education institutions in the Garhwal region. The people of this remote mountain region struggled for opening a University in the small but historic semi-rural town of Srinagar, Garhwal. It was an expression of the quest for empowering their future generations to overcome endemic economic and social backwardness, geographic and environmental constraints, preserving cultural identity, and harnessing the human resources for development.
The HNBGU was converted to a Central University on 15th January 2009 by an Act of Parliament i.e. The Central Universities Act 2009. The University has thus been entrusted with new responsibilities to guide its students, faculty and all other stakeholders to achieve excellence in academics and strive for the all-round development of the students. Since its inception, the University has shown commitment towards regional and community development inherent in its teaching courses, research agenda and other outreach and extension initiatives. The synergy derived from the circumstances of its genesis still inspires and promotes its vision for the future. However, being a Central University, HNBGU has a Pan-India appeal and draws students from various pockets of the country.
The University, nestled in the lap of Himalaya, ranges in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand, is a residential cum affiliating institution of higher learning. It has jurisdiction over seven districts of the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. The University has three Campuses distantly located from each other - Birla Campus with its extension at Chauras Campus Srinagar Garhwal, B. Gopal Reddy (BGR) Campus Pauri and Swami Ram Teerth (SRT) Campus Badshahithaul, Tehri. In addition there are 121 colleges and institutes affiliated with HNBGU, spreading over seven districts of the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. On University Campuses, Undergraduate, Post-Graduate and Doctoral programmes are offered in various disciplines. Besides conventional courses, the University has introduced some regionally relevant courses of greater significance for the mountainous areas.
AREA AND PEOPLE SERVED
From cities and industrial centres to the blessed Himalayas, HNBGU creates a fertile ground for the innovative thoughts to flourish. The serenity here acts as a catalyst that drives the pursuit of knowledge.
Ranging from rural to urban and traditional to modern social environment, the University acts as a point of confluence of a diverse socio-cultural mix. HNBGU promotes unity in diversity.
Being a Central University, HNBGU predominantly serves undergraduate and post graduate students at subsidized tuition fee. The University has provisions for scholarships/ stipends/ fellowships to meritorious students and scholars under various schemes notified by the Government of India time to time.
To achieve excellence by empowering all stakeholders through promotion of innovations in the field of higher education by imparting training and education, and encouraging research for the development of the country with specific attention to the mountain region.
- To stimulate the academic environment for promotion of holistic learning and research and contribute to the nation’s growth.
- To inculcate values and impart skills for shaping able and responsible individuals committed towards the intellectual, academic and cultural development of society.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in the areas of humanities, social sciences, science and technology and other branches of learning.
- To make special provisions for integrated courses in its educational programmes.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process and inter-disciplinary studies and research; to educate and train manpower for the development of the country.
- To establish linkages with industries for the promotion of science and technology.
- To pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions and welfare of the people, their intellectual, academic and cultural development.
FOCUS OF THE UNIVERSITY
- Excellence in higher education and research relevant to both nation, as a whole, and the hill states, including Uttarakhand, in particular.
- Expansion and inclusion at UG and PG levels of teaching for better outreach in rural areas, especially to the women in the hill districts of Uttarakhand.
- Promotion & Development of Extension as third dimension of higher education.