Department of Philosophy
The Department of Philosophy started with inclusion of Undergraduate classes in 1980, and upgraded to Post Graduate. Department started the PG Program from 1990 and research program in 1992. In 2001 the department initiated and started PG diploma Course in Yoga under self finance scheme of project on Yoga of UGC, Delhi.
The students and scholars of the department have registered their presence in achieving the fellowship from Indian Council of Philosophical Research for Doctoral/ Post Doctoral levels. The departmental members are actively engaged in the teaching/ research ventures as well as preparing students for the innovative future in the various field.
As a result, apart from teaching, the students have registered their presence in the fields of Yoga, Naturopathy, management courses, banking services and administrative services. Apart from teaching and research in the traditional Indian/ Western Philosophy the departmental members are striving hard to the practical implications of Philosophical Theories, thus taking up the applied philosophy in form of Applied Ethics and Yoga.
The Departmental members have already completed four projects with financial assistance of Indian Council of Philosophical Research, HRD Govt. of India, and University Grants Commission, Delhi. At present one Major Research Project is being run with the financial assistance of University Grants Commission, Delhi.
The Departmental member have credit of publishing seven books and more than fifty research papers in the Regional, National and International Journal of Philosophy. They have contributed research papers in more than sixty Regional, National and International conferences/seminars/ workshop/and appreciation courses. The departmental members have also registered their presence as the member of the editorial boards.
Besides, academic activities, the members of the philosophy department are actively engaged in managing the affairs of the corporate life of university campus in the capacity of Assistant Dean Student Welfare, Assistant Proctor, Assistant Superintendent Examination, Assistant Examination Controller, NSS Program Officer and sports activities counseling Cells and Admission committees.
Despite the limited number of only three permanent faculty members, the department is striving hard to accomplish academic responsibilities of teaching and researches in the assigned field and supporting the corporate life of the University Campus.
· The department has focused attention on carrying quality research work in the field of Indian and Western Metaphysics, Epistemology, Yoga and Moral implications to the practical field. For the above purpose, the department has vision to establish computer and net facility and research library set up.
· The department has planned to highlight practical application of Yoga- practices on the assumption that practical part could be highlighted only on the basis of the sound theoretical knowledge of the philosophy teachers.
· For attracting more students towards the subject, the department plans to guide the students for competitive examination of provincial and central services. It is already being done by the departmental members.
· The department has plans to interact with school level/ intermediate level education to talk and exchange the views on the value philosophy.
· The department has plans to create more venues for the exposure of the PG/ research students through seminar, workshop and conferences. The department has already organized four national seminars, two regional seminars, one session of Indian Philosophical Congress and one session of Akhil Bhartiya Darshan Parishad.
· The department has plan to search innovative venue for philosophy students by identifying the interdisciplinary use of the subject, in the fields of management, philosophy of science, providing foundation for the psychological counseling, and political philosophy and philosophy of education, understanding cross-cultural identity and resolving social problems etc.
· The department has plans to start self-finance courses in applied philosophy and professional ethics. For this purpose, the department has already approached and submitted the proposal for the financial assistance at the initial stage to the University Grants Commission. The syllabus and course design has been already approved in the meeting of Board of Studies.