Courses & Schemes
CS101: Computers & Information Technology
Computer Basics: Introduction, Typical Model of Computer, Classification & Characteristic of Computer, Computer generations, Description of Computer hardware components. Primary & secondary storage devices and their functions. Input & Output device and their functions. Comparison based analysis of various hardware components, Types of software.
Basic Operating System Concepts: Functional knowledge of MS-DOS, WINDOWS, UNIX operating systems. Introduction to Basic Internal/ External Commands of DOS, Basic UNIX command and vi editor. Managing file and directories in various operating Systems.
Computer and Information System in Business: Computer application in business, project Management, Computers in Personal and Administration, Accounting Information System, Computer Application in Purchasing, Material Management, Production Planning and Control.
MS-Office: Proficiency in performing functions in Microsoft WORD, Excel, Power Point, Access & Front Page.
Internet: Introduction to internet & WWW, Web browsers, Search engines, Intranet, Extranet & Electronic mail.
IT Technologies: Electronic/ Mobile Commerce, Hypermedia, Data warehouses & Data marts, Data mining, On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP).
1. Fundamental of Information Technology : Alexis Leon, Leon Vikas Publication.
2. Fundamentals of Computers : V. Rajaraman, PHI.
3. Computers Today: Suresh K. Basandra, Galgotia Publication.
4. Exploring UNIX : Stephen
5. Learning DOS : R. Bangia, Khanna Book Publication.
6. Internet: An Introduction: Manish Dixit, TMH.
7. Internet for everyone : Mathews Leon , Lean Techworld.
CS102: Programming & Problem Solving in 'C'
Basic Programming Concepts: Introduction to the basic ideas of problem solving and programming using principles of top-down modular design, Flowcharts, Abstraction Mechanisms, Stepwise Refinement.
Introduction to Programming Language C: Data Types, Instruction and its Types, Storage Classes, C character set, Identifiers and keywords, Data types, Declarations, Expressions, statements and symbolic constants, #include, define, if def. Preparing and running a complete C program.
Operators and expressions: Arithmetic, unary, logical, bit-wise, assignment and conditional operators, Library functions, Control statements: while, do-while, for statements, nested loops. If-else, switch, break, continue and go to statements, comma operator.
Functions: Defining and accessing: passing arguments, Function prototypes, Recursion, Use of library functions. Storage classes: automatic, external and static variables. Arrays: Defining and processing, passing to a function, Multi dimensional arrays. Strings:Pointers: Declarations, Passing to a function, Operations on pointers, Pointers and arrays, Arrays of pointers. Structures: Defining and processing, passing to a function, Unions. Data files: Open, close, create, process, Unformatted data files. Operations on strings.
1. Hutchison, R. : “Programming in C”. McGraw Hill.
2. Johnsonbaugh R. and Kalin M. : “Applications Programming in C”. PHI.
3. Rajaraman, V.:“Computer Programming in C”. Prentice Hall of India.
4. D. Richi : C Programming. Prentice Hall of India.
CS103: Mathematical Foundation of Computer Science
Relation: Type and compositions of relations, Pictorial representation of relations, Equivalence relations, Partial ordering relation.
Function: Types, Composition of function, Recursively defined function.
Mathematical Induction: Piano's axioms, Mathematical Induction, Discrete Numeric Functions and Generating functions, Simple Recurrence relation with constant coefficients, Linear recurrence relation without constant coefficients, Asymptotic Behaviour of functions
Algebric Structures: Properties, Semi group, monoid, Group, Abelian group, properties of group, Subgroup, Cyclic group, Cosets, Permutation groups, Homomorphism, Isomorphism and Automorphism of groups.
Calculus: Functions, limits and Continuity, differentiation and Integration, Differential Equations.
Linear equations & Matrices: Row/column operations, Gaussian Elimination, Decomposition, inverse. Determinant: Properties of determinants, Cramer’s Rule, determinants to transpose and inverse. Vector spaces: Linear independence, Bases, subspace and dimensionality. Inner Products and Norms: Length, angle, direction cosines; Orthogonalization. Prepositional Logic: Preposition, First order logic, Basic logical operations, Tautologies, Contradictions, Algebra of Proposition, Logical implication, Logical equivalence, Normal forms, Inference Theory, Predicates and quantifiers, Posets, Hasse Diagram.
Lattices: Introduction, Ordered set, Hasse diagram of partially ordered set, Consistent enumeration, Isomorhic ordered set, Well ordered set, Lattices, Properties of lattices, Bounded lattices, Distributive lattices, and Complemented lattices.
1. Liptschutz, Seymour, "Discrete Mathematics", TMH.
2. Trembley, J.P. & R. Manohar, "Discrete mathematical Structure with Application to Computer Science", TMH.
3. Kenneth H. Rosen, "Discrete Mathematics and its applications', TMH.
4. Doerr Alan and Levasseur Kenneth, "Applied Discrete Structure for Computer Science, Galgotia Pub. Pvt. Ltd.
5. Gersting "Mathematical Structure for Computer Science", WH freeman and Macmillan
6. Korthage, R.R.: Discrete Computational Structures, Academic Press.
7. C.L.Liu "Elements of Discrete Maehmatics", McGraw Hill.
8. Peter Grossman, "Discrete Mathematics for Computer", Palgrave Macmillian.
CS104: Computer Organization & Architecture
Representation of information & Basic Building Blocks: Number System: Binary, Octal, Hexadecimal and their conversion, Character Codes: BCD, ASCII, EBCDIC. Digital Codes: Gray Code, XS-3 Code.
Logic circuits : Basic Logic Functions, Synthesis of Logic Functions Using AND, OR and NOT Gates, Minimization of Logic Expression, Synthesis with NAND and NOR Gates, Implementation of Logic Gates, Flip-Flops, Registers and Shift Registers, Counters, Decoders, Multiplexers, Programmable Logic Devices , Sequential Circuits.
Basic Structure of Computer Hardware & Software: Functional units, Basic operational concepts, Bus structures, Software, Performance, Distributed Computing.
Addressing Methods : Basic Concepts, Memory Locations, Main Memory Operations, Addressing Modes, Basic I/O operations, Stacks and Queues, Subroutines.
Processing Unit : Some Fundamental Concepts, Execution of a Complete Instruction, Hardwired Control, Performance Considerations, Micro Programmed Control, Signed Addition and Subtraction, Arithmetic and Branching Conditions, Multiplication of Positive Numbers, Signed-Operand Multiplication, Fast Multiplication, Integer Division, Floating-Point Numbers and Operations.
Input-output Organization: Accessing I/O Devices, Interrupts, Direct Memory Access, I/O Hardware, Standard I/O Interfaces.
Memory: Semiconductor RAM memories, Read-Only Memories, Cache Memories, Performance Considerations, Virtual Memories, Memory Management Requirements.
Introduction to Computer Peripherals: I/O Devices, On-Line Storage.
1. Willam Stalling, "Computer Organization & Architecture" Pearson Education Asia
2. Mano Morris, "Computer System Architecture" PHI
3. Zaky & Hamacher, "Computer Organization: McGraw Hill
4. B. Ram, "Computer Fundamental Architecture & Organization" New Age
5. Tannenbaum, "Structured Computer Organization" PHI.
6. Hayes: Computer Architecture & Organization, Mc Graw Hill.
7. G.L. Jr.: Computer design, Computech Press Langdon.
8. Bywater: Hardware- Software Design of digital System