1. M. Sc. (Ag.) Seed Science & Technology - Syllabus
Duration of Course : P.G. (2 Years) 4 Semesters
Number of seats (Intake) : 15+15
Duration of Course : 2 - 4 years
Number of seats (Intake) : 07
1. The degree of M. Sc. (Ag.) Seed Science and Technology under the department of Seed Science & Technology, HNB Garhwal University shall be conferred on agriculture/science graduates who have pursued the prescribed regular course of study for not less than four semesters spread over two academic years and have passed the examination as prescribed under the relevant ordinances. The course content is multi-disciplinary, based on several disciplines such as plant physiology, plant pathology, plant breeding, plant biotechnology, plant morphology and plant embryology, soil sciences, agronomy and agro industry.
It will provide the much needed skill in production of seeds of high yielding varieties and hybrids of assessed genetic purity, germination, and seed health needed for maximizing crop production. It will also generate the much needed qualified manpower resource in the country to meet the demand of the seed industry in the public and the private sector. The course will also open new avenues / job opportunities for the young Post Graduates, some of whom may take their own seed business.
2. Admission: There shall be 15 seats. The fee structure of the course is Rs. 15,000/- per annum, (total Rs. 30,000/- for two years). Candidates to be selected through the merit, which shall be under the overall ambit of HNB Garhwal University Admission Policy for its P.G. Courses. Other weightages are the same as those for all M.Sc. courses in HNBGU; e.g. SC/ST/OBC, Sports (state/national level), NCC/NSS camps, dependent of freedom fighters/ defense personnel (retd. or working), University, HNBGU weightage, Birla Campus. All relevant documents e.g. attested mark sheets; weightage proof etc. should accompany the duly filled form obtainable from the Dean, Faculty of Students Welfare. List of admitted candidates shall be displaced on the notice board of the department within 7 days after the last date of the application forms. No student shall be allowed to join in the middle of the semester.
3. Essential Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in Ag. Science or B.Sc. with Botany, Seed Technology, Forestry and Horticulture as one of the subjects, awarded by a University or Institute incorporated by law and recognized by this University shall constitute the minimum requirement for admission. However, the students coming from biology/seed technology/forestry background i.e. non-agriculture graduates shall have to pass a basic course on Introductory Agriculture (fundamental concepts). The marks obtained in this course shall not be counted in the final calculation of percentage and award of class. Rules relating to minimum percentage of marks in the first degree level examination or an over all academic index etc. as prescribed by the University shall apply to the P.G. Course.
4. Duration of the Course: Duration of the course shall be four semesters (two academic years). 15th July to 15th December, 1st January to 31st May. The semester system is linked to a minimum no. of 90 working days per semester and minimum 12-14 credit hrs (45-50 contact lectures) per paper/semester.